Take your bland homemade snack mix to the next level by adding Indian spices. We were bored of always taking the same snack on hikes and kayaking trips and love Indian spices flavors. That’s when I started looking for a cool twist to snack mix. I came across a recipe that added Indian spices to the classic Chex mix snack. I just had to try this Curry Powder Chex Mix for myself and I love it.
After looking at the recipe, I researched how this could be better for our active snack. Curry powder has numerous proteins to help digestion, and mustard seeds with minerals such as calcium, iron, zinc, etc. These great spices improve your health and add a great flavor to your snack mix.
Let’s dive deeper into what Curry Power consists of. Curry powder is a blend of various ground spices commonly associated with Indian cuisine, although it’s also used in many other cuisines around the world. The exact composition of curry powder can vary widely, but it often includes a mix of spices such as turmeric, cumin, coriander, fenugreek, mustard, and more. Here are some benefits of using curry powder in your cooking:
- Flavor Enhancement: Curry powder imparts a complex and rich flavor to dishes. Its combination of spices adds depth, warmth, and a balance of savory and earthy notes to your food.
- Health Benefits: Many of the spices found in curry powder, such as turmeric, cumin, and coriander, are known to have potential health benefits. Turmeric, for example, contains curcumin, a compound with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Anti-Inflammatory Properties: Turmeric, one of the main ingredients in curry powder, has been studied for its anti-inflammatory effects. Including curry powder in your diet might contribute to reducing inflammation in the body.
- Digestive Health: Some spices in curry powder, like cumin and coriander, have been traditionally used to aid digestion and alleviate gastrointestinal discomfort.
- Antioxidant Content: Many of the spices in curry powder are rich in antioxidants, which help combat oxidative stress and support overall health.
- Versatility: Curry powder can be used in a wide range of dishes, from traditional Indian curries to soups, stews, marinades, and even salad dressings. Its versatility makes it a valuable addition to your spice collection.
- Color and Aesthetic Appeal: The inclusion of turmeric in curry powder gives dishes a vibrant yellow color, enhancing the visual appeal of the food.
- Aromatic Aroma: The aromatic spices in curry powder, such as cardamom, cloves, and cinnamon, contribute to a fragrant and inviting aroma in your dishes.
- Saves Time: Using pre-mixed curry powder can save time in the kitchen, as you don’t need to measure and combine individual spices each time you cook.
- Cultural Exploration: Curry powder allows you to experiment with flavors from different cuisines, providing a gateway to explore and enjoy various global dishes.
- Customization: While pre-made curry powder blends are readily available, you can also create combinations to suit your taste preferences. This allows you to adjust the spice levels and flavors according to your liking.
Give this Curry Powder Chex Mix snack a try; you may find it your new go-to snack for a mouth full of flavor. I hope you enjoy!
Indian Spice Snack Mix
- 1 Roasting Pan
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 2 tsp Mustard Seeds Whole
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds Whole
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds Whole
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Curry Powder
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 3 cups Wheat Chex
- 3 cups Corn Chex
- 3 cups Lightly crushed plain, ridged potato chips
- 1/2 cup Pepitas
- 1/2 cup Dry Roasted Peanuts
- 1 cup Raisins
- In roasting pan, add butter, seeds, cayenne, curry powder, and salt. Stir together. Bake until toasted and fragrant about 10 to 15 minutes
- Then add both the cereals, chips, pepitas, and nuts, and stir well till well coated with butter. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, stirring every 15minutes. Add raisins during the last 15 minutes stirring interval. Let cool and store in an airtight container.